Doi Ilish is a delicious and creamy Bengali Hilsa fish curry that combines the unique flavors of Hilsa fish with the tanginess of yogurt. This dish is perfect for special occasions or when you want to treat yourself to a delightful culinary experience. Follow the recipe below to prepare Doi Ilish at home.
- 500g Hilsa fish, cut into 4-5 pieces
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 2-3 green chilies, slit
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 tbsp mustard oil
- Salt, to taste
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the yogurt until smooth. Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt, and mix well to combine.
- Add the Hilsa fish pieces to the yogurt mixture and gently rub the marinade over the fish. Let the fish marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat mustard oil in a deep skillet or kadai over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and sauté for a few seconds until they release their aroma.
- Add the ginger paste and slit green chilies to the skillet, and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Carefully slide the marinated Hilsa fish pieces into the skillet, along with the remaining yogurt marinade. Stir gently to mix the fish with the spices in the skillet.
- Cook the fish on medium heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure that the yogurt does not curdle. If the curry appears too thick, add a little water to adjust the consistency.
- Once the fish is cooked through and the flavors have melded together, remove the skillet from heat.
- Garnish the Doi Ilish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with steamed rice or pulao for a scrumptious and satisfying meal.