Ilish Macher Paturi
- 4-6 pieces of ilish (hilsa) fish
- 1/2 cup mustard paste
- 1/2 cup coconut paste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons mustard oil
- Banana leaves or aluminum foil for wrapping
- Thread or toothpicks for securing the wraps
- Wash the ilish fish pieces and pat them dry with a paper towel. Rub the fish pieces with turmeric powder and salt and keep them aside for 10-15 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix together mustard paste, coconut paste, ginger paste, garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt.
- Heat the mustard oil in a frying pan or kadhai over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions to the pan and fry until they turn translucent.
- Add the mustard and coconut paste mixture to the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes until the raw smell disappears.
- Remove the pan from heat and let the mixture cool down.
- Take banana leaves or aluminum foil and cut them into squares large enough to wrap each fish piece.
- Spread a spoonful of the mustard and coconut paste mixture on one side of each leaf or foil and place a fish piece on top.
- Spread another spoonful of the mixture on top of the fish and wrap the leaf or foil to make a tight packet.
- Secure the wrap with thread or toothpicks.
- Heat a tawa or griddle over medium heat and place the wrapped fish packets on it.
- Cook each side for about 5-7 minutes until the banana leaf or aluminum foil turns brown and the fish is cooked through.
- Remove the packets from the tawa or griddle and serve hot.
Enjoy your delicious Ilish Macher Paturi!